Monday 16 February 2009

about the techy prep.


This week saw the start of the serious training with two lots of two rides back to back and 270 miles covered in total. Mid-week also saw the arrival of the Garmin Edge 605; the GPS that would allow me to plot routes with ease and follow them without error, but alas.. only in my dreams.

Given that, in part, the purpose of the blog is to provide a record and add to the resource of info that I've plundered - I'll take this opportunity to advise that you don't buy a Garmin package with the City Navigator maps on a micro SD card - apparently some of the problems that I've experienced can be more easily sorted (nay avoided, if the package is with DVD). Either way though;


  • Garmin's manuals are little more than labelling the buttons,
  • Support (other than via blogs & chats) is none existant,
  • There is a minefield of gpx, tcx and crs files to be mastered (beware if you're a technophobe),
  • You may lose days to the trials of potential solutions (overcoming truncated routes & the inability to download or plot a route) and, although now up & running after a fashion, I still can't get directions for a downloaded route that I haven't yet ridden.. ie LEJOG. I can however follow a map of the downloaded route - thanks to various input but most notably http://www.mapmyride.com/ and www.etapevirgins2008.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-upload-course-files-to-your.html
On the plus side; I am now able to map proposed routes and will be getting all sorts of stats - like my first 'fastest speed' of 41.6 mph - yeah, obviously downhill (at Duncton nr Petworth, W. Sussex).

No comments:

Post a Comment