Monday 13 April 2009

Day 10 - Into the wind from Drumnadrochit


Today was reminiscent of Day 2 - i.e. tough! For the majority of the day I cycled straight into a head wind and for the first time really missed the rotation/shelter that would have been possible as part of a group (... sorry but Hope just doesn't cut it). I saw the Cancer Research support van go by at about 25 miles and for a while was preoccupied with their arrival behind me.. hoping that they'd catch me whilst I had enough energy to 'join the train'. Aching limbs, and a possible desensitizing to the pain killers, left me hurting as I climbed and descended hills in low gears (I've never previously had to get out of the saddle to pedal downhill!) and the one mile bridge over Cromarty Firth was the hardest flat mile I've cycled. The end result was my slowest average speed to date; 83 miles at 14 mph to Helmsdale... and No, the Cancer Research guys never arrived. I did however see two of the NSE riders near Brora - but no sign of the third??
I'm told that the scenery was ruggedly spectacular... I think that translates as overly exposed and hostile (though I admit the views from the B&B ,Culgower House, are impressive). Tomorrow may be more of the same as I head up the East coast to John O'Groats.. but I'm guessing that I won't mind as much and that I'll take a more positive view.

No comments:

Post a Comment