Thursday 9 April 2009

Day 6 - Kirkstone Pass and a crash!


Today was Garstang to Kirkoswald via Kirkstone Pass. Accompanied by brother Sean (remember, he's a sibling not a monk) we set off in the sunshine and headed for the Lakes.

Hope had gone on ahead to meet up with Lawrence, who lives near Kendal, and we picked her up on the way.

The hills started after about 25 miles and, with Sean on a mountain bike with no training under his belt, the climbs started to take their toll. After Windemere..., Kirkstone Pass. Shortly after the 40 mile mark, Sean was done (great effort and the longest ride he'd done for years, by far) and I continued on up the pass. The wind and rain kicked in and having made it to the top, I started the rapid descent and the route via Ullswater, heading towards Carlisle. At the turn for Dacre, and a late release of the brakes, I was down and sliding downhill with one foot still clipped to the bike. [A little damage to both bike and me -here's hoping that I'm typing one-handed due to a sprain and not a break!]

Journey's end (for the day) was near Kirkoswald and after 76 miles and an eventful day; I was done- legs OK (small bash to the knee) and wrist pretty painful (I know, what a wimp!).

No comments:

Post a Comment