Tuesday 14 April 2009

Day 11 - The John O'Groats 'finish'



The final stage was 56.5 miles to John O'Groats and a further 2 miles to Duncansby Head (which is the actual north west tip of mainland UK), there was another headwind but nowhere near the strength of yesterday's. After 5 miles I hit what I think was the longest constant climb of Lejog and after another 10 miles, at Berriedale Braes, a great downhill blast that gave me a new fastest speed of 44.2 mph followed by a real stinker that I had been warned about. I passed the Cancer Research team here and (in my head at least) the race was on! - juvenile I know. The rest of the stage was fairly hilly but with some long flat sections and the headwind, I expected the group of 7 to pass me before the finish. After Wick (with 15 miles to go) I was passed by their back up van and, with their driver cheering me on, I increased the effort but expected the riders at any time. As yesterday... they never showed up! As on Day 2.. they had unknowingly helped. I later heard that, although the group had regularly split on previous days, they had decided to stick together (thereby slowing some) for the final stage to John O'Groats.

At John O'Groats, confusion reigns... no clear markings, no Finish Line (although I've seen one in older pics) and no signpost - until some tourists, who were prepared to pay, rang the local photographer. My pics were snatched whilst they were setting up! I also met up again with the trio of NSE riders who had been reunited and finished earlier.
So now it's back to the Lakes to complete the missing stage (to Glasgow). I'll add a note once that is done, though I'll add the detail into the section for Day 7. I'll also be adding the nerdy details re routes, etc. to each of the daily posts - so that the blog can be used in the way that I used others' when planning LEJOG.

No comments:

Post a Comment