Friday 10 April 2009

Day 7a - A Change of Plan

This morning began with a trip to the Cumbrian Royal Infirmary A&E Dept. in Carlisle, as I was (apparently) 'royally infirm'. My wrist had continued to swell overnight despite the best efforts of frozen cauliflower and 'Dr.' Kevin's ice pack and riding would be difficult; changing gear (and therefore some climbs) seemed impossible. Conversation had turned to splint contraptions to wrestle the required levers into position and the feasibility of moving the chain ring gear change mechanism to the right (i.e. ending the need to do anything, except hang on, with the left hand).

A broken wrist would mean a cast and so even hanging on would be tough. Luckily therefore, after half a day and 5 x-rays, I was told that I had soft tissue damage and that riding was not recommended until after a recovery period of 10 - 14 days.

As some folks will know, I reserve the right to disagree with the medical opinion of some doctors and, although I have no doubts about the expertise of Mr Fox, the revised plan (below) is not quite as recommended.

So, Today (Stage 7a) is a forced day off the bike and, because B&Bs are booked we travelled (by car - "fear not, read on") to Glasgow tonight -ready for Day 8 and a ride to Tyndrum/Bridge of Orchy. Days 9 - 11 will then be as originally planned with a 'finish' in John O'Groats on Tuesday. BUT THEN.. the epilogue; a trip back to my sister's from where I will complete the missing Stage 7 (I'll call it 7b) to Glasgow by bike. This way, we can use B&Bs as booked and complete all mileage/stages of LEJOG (though Stage 7 is out of order). So if pain and restricted movement allow - that's the plan. The change is particularly frustrating as my legs and fitness seem to be holding up fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment